Yard and Brush Waste
Please note, this policy was approved by City Council at the City Council meeting held on June 1st, 2020.
View policy 2020-04 here.
Yard waste collection is provided seasonally from April through the end of October each year, with leaf collection weekly and brush pick up monthly. There is no fee for collection during these months. This service will begin on Monday, April 25, 2022.
Brush will picked up the last Monday of each month. Please cut it down to 4 foot lengths or less and stack it neatly at the curb with the cut end facing the street. This service also begins on Monday, April 25, 2022.
There are two city-wide brush and leaf pick up events in the fall and in the spring. Please note, all dates are subject to change. 2022 dates will be announced soon.
Spring Brush and Leaf Pick Up Event
The spring brush and leaf pick up event is typically scheduled for the third week in April. The 2022 dates will be announced soon.
Fall Brush and Leaf Pick Up Even
2022 dates to be announced.
What is "yard waste"?
Yard waste includes plant material such as leaves, grass clippings, small twigs, prunings, shrub clippings, branches, brush, flowers, roots, and other material commonly thrown away in the course of maintaining yards and gardens from city residences. It does NOT include sod dug out to establish flower beds or hardscaping. Please call City Hall at 231-734-2181 to arrange for sod pick up.
Leaf and Grass Clippings Collection Guidelines:
- Leaves and grass clippings must be placed in biodegradable yard waste bags. Not sure where to find biodegradable yard waste bags? Click here for more info!
- Loose-leaf piles will only be picked up during the twice-yearly city-wide brush and leaf pick up events
- Bags cannot weigh more than 40 pounds when filled.
- City crews will not collect yard waste material placed into plastic bags, cardboard boxes, grocery bags, or other unapproved containers.
- Bagged leaf collection will occur every week on Monday morning starting after the completion of the spring brush and leaf pick up event.
NOTE: The City of Evart is not responsible for personal containers and lids that are lost or damaged
Loose Brush Collection Guidelines:
- Stack brush neatly between the curb and sidewalk with the cut ends facing towards the street
- Branches should be no larger than 5" in diameter
- Brush piles should be no larger than 4' wide, 8' long and 4' high
- Stumps will not be collected; you may obtain a permit to dispose of stumps at the Forest Hill Cemetery location by calling City Hall at (231) 734-2181
- Keep brush piles away from obstacles such as fire hydrants and utility poles and maintain a safe line of sight distance for pedestrians and vehicular traffic
- Remove any root balls; these may be bagged with leaves for collection
- The collection of large amounts of brush resulting from tree removal requires the use of a tree removal service or landscape service
- Loose brush collection will occur monthly; residents should place their brush to the curb for collection the last week of the month and the City will pick up the brush during the first week of the proceeding month
NOTE: The City of Evart is not responsible for the removal of brush produced by contractors. Residents are encouraged to share this policy with their landscaping contractor and/or tree removal contractors prior to any work being completed.
Brush Collection Appointments
During the months between November and April brush collection can be scheduled by appointment. Brush must be set out no more than 48 hours prior to the scheduled appointment day.
- Any brush generated from the removal of a tree or substantial portion of a tree, either by a resident or a hired tree service will not be chipped or removed by the city; to obtain a permit to dispose of brush and waste to Forest Hill Cemetery, please call City Hall at (231) 734-2181
- Any brush placed out for collection that is outside the scope of the above guidelines shall be deemed a nuisance and handled accordingly
- There is a limit of one truckload per residence for brush collection. Additional pick up arrangements can be made by calling City Hall at (231) 734-2181
Please note, inclement weather may cause delays in pick up
Concrete, Sod, and Building Materials
Concrete, sod, and building materials will not be picked up curbside. However, the City does offer disposal for concrete and sod. Please call City Hall for more details at (231) 734-2181
Building materials, including dimensional lumber and construction materials, will not be picked up nor does the city provide disposal.
Contact a local transfer station or dump for further information on disposing of building and construction materials:
Christmas Tree Collection
Each year, the City of Evart provides curbside collection for Christmas trees. The collection begins after the Christmas holiday
- Artificial trees will not be picked up
- Remove all the ornaments, tinsel, lights, tree stand, and other non-organic decorative materials
- Do not place the tree inside any type of bag
- Wreaths on wire hangers will not be picked up
For specific questions on the leaf, brush, and Christmas tree collection, please call City Hall at (231) 734-2181