Historic District Commission
The Historic District Commission (HDC) was established under the authority of Michigan Public Act 169 and is comprised of five volunteers appointed to three-year terms by the Evart City Council. The HDC must include a graduate of an accredited school of architecture with two years of experience or an architect who is registered in this state. All members must demonstrate an interest in and knowledge of historic preservation and historic building styles and must be residents of Evart.
The City of Evart is proposing the designation of the Depot at 200 S. Main Street as the city’s first historic district. The establishment of any Historic District allows property owners with contributing properties the opportunity to apply for tax credits.
In order to preserve the architecture, character, and historical significance of structures in the City of Evart, other areas may at some point be proposed as historic districts.
The Historic District Commission meets quarterly. Please join us for our next one!
More information is available here.
- Diane Carlson
- Roger Elkins
- Kathy Fiebig
- Karen Higgins
- Jennifer Joyce
- Sec. 44-207 The Historic District Commission
- Sec. 44-208 Historic District Commission Meetings, Recordkeeping, and Rules of Procedure
- Sec. 44-209 Delegation of Minor Classes of Work
- Sec. 44-210 Ordinary Maintenance
- Sec. 44-211 Review by the Commission
- Sec. 44-212 Design Review Standards and Guidelines
- Sec. 44-213 Permit Applications
- Sec. 44-214 Denials
- Sec. 44-215 Notice to Proceed
- Sec. 44-216 Appeal of a Commission Decision
- Sec. 44-217 Work Without a Permit
- Sec. 44-218 Demolition by Neglect
- Sec. 44-219 Review of Work in Proposed Districts
- Sec. 44-220 Emergency Moratorium
- Sec. 44-221 Penalties for Violations
- Sec. 44-222 Acceptance of Gifts or Grants
- Sec. 44-223 Acquisition of Historic Resources
- 2019-08 Historic Ordinance, City of Evart, Michigan
- 2020-03 Ordinance to Amend Evart City Ordinance 2019-08 Historic District Ordinance
- Sec. 2-91 Rules Applicable to City Bodies Generally
The City of Evart continues to seek a City resident who is an archaeologist, architect, architectural historian, historian or historic architect to serve on the Historic District Commission. Commission members are unpaid volunteers, but the rewards are priceless. This is not a high time commitment, yet it is an integral part of our ongoing historic preservation efforts. Please send a resume with a letter of interest to City Manager, Sarah Dvoracek at email@example.com or mail to:
City of Evart
5814 100th Avenue
Evart, MI 49632