Inside Your Home - Locks, Doors, & Windows
- Install and use deadbolt locks on doors (about half of all burglars enter through unlocked doors and windows).
- Secure sliding glass doors and windows with a wooden dowel placed in the track.
- Lock all windows at night or when away from home.
- Hide valuables out of plain sight.
Outside Your Home
- Trim back shrubbery hiding doors or windows.
- Cut back tree limbs that could help a thief climb to second story windows.
- Make sure all porches, entrances, and yards are well lighted.
- Use motion sensor exterior lights where practical.
- Keep your garage closed.
- Do not hide house keys in mail boxes, planters, or under doormats.
- Do not put personal identification on key rings.
- If keys are lost or stolen, change the locks immediately (often covered by insurance).
When Away or On Vacation
- Make your home appear occupied when you go out.
- Leave lights on and the radio playing.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked.
- Use timers to turn inside lights on and off.
- If you will be gone several days, arrange to have the mail and papers stopped or picked up.
- Complete a vacation notification at the Police Station.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to watch your house and call 9-1-1 if observing anything suspicious.
- Do not post vacation plans on social media.
- Do not post photos or "updates" on social media while you are away, wait until you return home to post those great travel photos.
- TIPS from a real burglar
Report Suspicious Persons or Activity
- Call 9-1-1 to report anything suspicious in the neighborhood.
- Brighton Police will check it out.
- Your help is critical to us.